In 2004 the club celebrated its 50th anniversary and a small booklet was produced about the history of the club. Here is the story..
Following informal discussions between Alderman Holder, Deputy Lientenant of Essex, his son John, Alderman Wright, Cuncillor Goodwin, Irving Hyslop and friemds, a public meeting was convened for Sunday 11 October 1953 in the pavilion at Lionmede Park.
In the presence of 20 prospective members the meeting resolved to form Lionmede Bowls Club, with amembership fee of 7/6d, to play on the 3 rink green in the park. Of those attending 12 immediately signed and the appointed Secretary was requested to arrange fixtures. Within 2 weeks the inaugral membership became 27 and by June 1954 this had increased to 44. As with other bowls clubs at the time membership was mens only
Some of the founding members were Ken Lewis, Arthur Rolfe, Stan Hoy(joined May 1954) who was the first club champion and Bernard Webb.
As few members had a car, coaches were used for away fixtures at Colchester, Dunmow, Ongar and Southminster.
The council employed a park keeper and groundsman and the small pavilion was used as a meeting place for pensioners and storing council equipment. The club members usually met at the Red Lion where the County Shield was displayed for a year following the 1962 win.
Some Milestones in the Club's history:-
|1955 Council give permission for teas to be served in pavilion and club purchases tea urn and crockery.|
|1956 Founder member Councillor Phil Goodwin dies. He had been instrumental in having a 3 rink bowling green laid in the park and a memorial clock was erected by the council on the gable end of the pavilion.|
|1957 Club Badge designed|
|1958 Club enters a team in C&D league. Honours board presented to club by members of Springfield B.C. in memory of their president Percy Gray (Gray & Sons Brewery). The club had played on Percy's lawn in Springfield Road until his death and several members belonged to both clubs|
|1959 Flag pole erected with its positiontaking account of the proposed extension of the green.|
|1960 Green extended to six rinks. The council require two rinks to be left for public use.|
|1960 Club finals played in white for first time|
|1961 Friendlise played in whites for first time|
|1964 B team entered in C&D Division 2|
|1966 New pavilion investigated. Council advise covenants prevent one in the park but if club purchase adjacent land access would be granted.|
|1968 Council grant a licence for new pavilion at club cost|
1969 Preliminary plans obtained from architect to extend existing pavilion towards entrance gate. Council Parks and Recreation Committee approve the scheme and invite formal planning application. members pledge interest free loans to cover approximately 60% of the minimum build cost.
C&D Finals played at Lionmede
|More to come ....watch this space!|
|If you have a story to tell contact email@example.com|