In 2004 the club celebrated its 50th anniversary and a small booklet was produced about the history of the club. Here is the story..
Following informal discussions between Alderman Holder, Deputy Lientenant of Essex, his son John, Alderman Wright, Cuncillor Goodwin, Irving Hyslop and friemds, a public meeting was convened for Sunday 11 October 1953 in the pavilion at Lionmede Park.
In the presence of 20 prospective members the meeting resolved to form Lionmede Bowls Club, with a membership fee of 7/6d, to play on the 3 rink green in the park. Of those attending 12 immediately signed and the appointed Secretary was requested to arrange fixtures. Within 2 weeks the inaugral membership became 27 and by June 1954 this had increased to 44. As with other bowls clubs at the time membership was mens only
Some of the founding members were Ken Lewis, Arthur Rolfe, Stan Hoy (joined May 1954) who was the first club champion and Bernard Webb.
As few members had a car, coaches were used for away fixtures at Colchester, Dunmow, Ongar and Southminster.
The council employed a park keeper and groundsman and the small pavilion was used as a meeting place for pensioners and storing council equipment. The club members usually met at the Red Lion where the County Shield was displayed for a year following the 1962 win.